Sunday, January 15, 2012

I'm Here!

THUD!  The landing gear hit the ground.  It had been a long day of travel but I was finally at my destination.  I had been feeling a bit anxious throughout the day, but that all quickly turned to excitement as I thought about seeing my friend Ryan again who was coming to pick me up.  As quickly as I could (which wasn't very quick since the lines were forever long), I made it through immigration, grabbed my luggage, and went through customs.  As I exited the doors to the airport, throngs of people were waiting outside.  I glanced around trying to catch a view of the SI staff that had come to pick me up.  I spotted Ryan hiding behind a large column along with three other friends from SI.  Being the somewhat emotional guy I am and now being extra excited because extra friends came to welcome me, I dropped all my luggage and sprinted in their direction.  As I approached them, I noticed a guy holding up a sign with my name on it, and I rushed up to him, grabbed his arm and just as I was beginning to lean in for a big hug. my friend Ryan says, "Hey Eric, you don't know that guy!"  I stopped in my tracks and thought, "Oh yeah, I've never seen this guy in my life!"  As it turns out, my friends had brought a sign with my name, given it to a Dominican, and had tried to hide in hopes that I would think they had just sent some random guy to pick me up.  However, in my enthusiasm their attempted joke only allowed me to share my love for the DR with a complete stranger.

Life has been good to me for the two days that I have been here and I feel like I am somewhat settling in to my new apartment.  I've managed to unpack most of my things, get cell phone service, and buy a new water heater so I no longer have to take cold showers.  All in all, it has been refreshing to be here and reconnect with some old friends.  Thanks for all your prayers and continue to pray for me as I hit the ground running tomorrow at the MF site!  

Faith, Hope, Love,
Eric 

P.S.  Here are a few photos of my apartment to give you an idea of what it is like!

Third bedroom that nobody is using.
Also, don't worry, I'm not planning on having a kid.
The crib was left behind by the previous owner.
My Bedroom
John McCain moved into the apartment with me as well!  
He seems to add a unique dynamic!

Bathroom with Shower
The Balcony!  Probably the best part about the apartment!


Second Bedroom.  Where my roommate Mark will be staying once he comes in February!

Dining Room!


Kitchen!

Ryan, the previous MF site leader, hanging out in the living room!
He is staying with me for the three weeks he is here training me.



1 comment:

  1. Eric! How surreal to see those pictures where you'll be living and remember the days of Settlers and Booper raps with Ryan and Caroline. Good luck with everything! :-)

    ReplyDelete