Sunday, January 20, 2013

Faithfulness: A Big Word for Small Things

Every January brings about a new year that is generally filled with hope for change.  Generally,  this hope for change can be seen through a list of.......wait for it......RESOLUTIONS!  In all honesty, resolutions are a good thing and they generally motivate us to get up off the couch and do something (albeit in some cases it is only for a few days).

However, this year instead of writing just resolutions, a group of friends from college and I recently decided to write an impossible list (life goal list) inspired by our good friend Joel Runyon's "Blog of Impossible Things".  His blog is well done and the idea is fairly simple.  Step 1:  Pick something you previously thought was impossible.  Step 2:  Go do it.

As I made my list and as I started thinking about what impossible things I wanted to cross off in the year to come, I had to analyze more than just my desire to cross it off.  I had to think about mostly the small things.  Doing 100 push-ups in a row isn't a one time event that lasts for 2 minutes.  It is an event that is several months long full of small things.  Making a training schedule.  Breaking it down into small steps and then fulfilling it even when it is not the most convenient.  It could be a morning I would rather just stay in bed or an evening when I would rather just go to sleep.  (Those are not just examples but literally my two biggest temptations.)  20 push-ups here and another 20 push-ups there.  In reality, I wasn't just committing to doing 100 push-ups but being faithful to all the small things.

As I started to think more about my eternal goals and less vain goals such as doing 100 push-ups in a row, I realized that my relationship with God wasn't much different.  Maintaining an intimate relationship with him is almost never about doing big things but small things like spending time reading the word, talking with Him, and doing the ordinary, everyday things that he asks.

This past week, God showed me the principle first hand as Rosa, one of our Microfinance clients, accepted Christ for the first time.  Seeing people come to a relationship with the God of the universe and their creator is our ultimate goal at the Microfinance Site.  Seeing it happen is a BIG thing.  However, it happened on a Wednesday morning just like any other.  Miriam, my coworker went to visit her, share with her, and show her Christ's love.  It was something she had done numerous times before.  As Mother Teresa would say, it was a morning of doing  "small things with great love". Yet God used the small things to do something big.  It was faithfulness.


"Let not steadfast love and faithfulness forsake you: bind them around your neck; write them on the tablet of your heart."

-Proverbs 3:3-


Consider being part of the "Be 1 of the 106" fundraising campaign at the Microfinance Site and help 5 new communitiespf Jarabacoa hear the gospel for the first time as well as receive fair financial resources!    If you would like to make a tax free donation to the MF Site, simply click here or see the support tab at the top of this blog for more options!

No comments:

Post a Comment